Serves: 4-6 people
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours +
Suitable for either a Kid Goat Shoulder Joint or a Kid Goat Leg Joint, this recipe perfectly combines the depth of flavour of goat with that sumptuous beery taste. Add your own combination of vegetable to tailor to your taste!
Recipe adapted from Gustomondo website.
- 2kg Kid Goat Joint for roasting
- 2 carrots (large chunks)
- 2 peppers (large chunks)
- 1 / 2 chillies (whole)
- 5 / 6 cloves garlic
- 75g smoked bacon
- 1L Beer or Lager
- 50ml Olive or Vegetable Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Make a paste with the oil and the dried herbs, add salt and black pepper, and a teaspoon of paprika. With a sharp thin knife, make small incisions in the meat and stuff small chunks of the garlic into the surface of the meat—do the same with the bacon. This will impart a slightly smoky flavour into the meat and make it more tender.
- Rub the spices and oil mixture all over the meat and refrigerate for 2 hours minimum (overnight if possible)
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- In the baking tray, line the base with the chunks of vegetables, the meat will rest and cook on them
- Add the beer and half the water along with a couple of bay leaves. Place the tray in the oven and cook for 20 minutes (or until the top of the meat has a nice golden crust)
- Then cover the meat with tinfoil, reduce the heat to 160C and cook for a further 90 minutes, checking every 30 minutes to see if more water is needed
- Uncover and cook further at 220C until the top of the joint is beautifully crunchy and crispy
- Serve with your choice of sides and White wine