Serves: 3-4 people
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4-6 hours
Hearty and healthy Goat tagine. Kid goat can be substituted instead of Adult Goat for a leaner and more delicate dish. Kid Goat also requires less cooking time.
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 550g lean lamb, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 700ml lamb or chicken stock
- grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 175g ready-to-eat dried apricots
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 25g ground almonds
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- steamed broccoli and couscous, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the goat meat and cook over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until evenly browned, stirring often. Remove the goat to a plate, using a slotted spoon.
- Stir the onion and garlic into the casserole and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened. Return the goat to the pot.
- Add the stock, zest and juice, cinnamon, honey, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil before reducing the heat. Cover and cook gently for 3-4 hours.
- Add the apricots and two-thirds of the mint and cook for 30 minutes longer until the goat is tender.
- Stir in the ground almonds to thicken the sauce. Serve with the remaining mint anf toasted almonds scattered over the top along with steamed broccoli and couscous.