Serves: 6-8 people
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 hours
Slow cook for 5 hours for even better results – this is called pulled goat and it is amazing, remember to add stock so the joint does not dry out.
- 2Kg Kid goat leg
- 1 pound of frozen peach slices
- 2 organic apples
- 1 lemon
- Pink peppercorns
- Freshly ground coarse celtic sea salt
- 2 cups white wine
- The morning before roasting defrost the goat leg and the peaches (if frozen)
- At night put the leg on a cookie sheet (will probably not fit in a standard pan) laying it on a couple of long pieces of aluminium foil, so it can be easily wrapped.
- Zest the lemon and spread the zest on the leg.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper, then lay peaches on top and around the leg.
- Core and coarsely chop apples and lay on the meat.
- Wrap tightly with the foil, and place back in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, take out meat from the refrigerator about 3 hours before roasting, to bring to room temperature.
- Unwrap the leg, and lay back on the cookie sheet (or roasting pan if you have one large enough).
- Lay marinade around it.Pour one cup of wine on the cookie sheet.
- Cover the leg very loosely with the foil, to create a sort of tent.
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.Place the leg in the oven and reduce temperature immediately to 200 degrees.
- Roast the leg for about 5-6 hours, checking that when the fluid is completely absorbed you refill it with the second cup of wine.
- When the meat reaches internal temperature of 120 degrees turn the broiler on high and REMOVE foil.
- The meat should brown nicely on the top.When the meat reaches 125 degrees internal temperature remove from the oven remove the leg from the oven and cover with foil and a towel to keep warm.
- Let rest for about 15 minutes, then slice against the grain at an angle.You can use the pan drippings, if not burnt, to reduce with ½ cup white wine for a quick sauce.