Serves: 6 people
Preparation: 12 minutes
Cooking Time: 31/2 hours
Rice and peas are a brilliant option to accompany any casserole, tagine or curry—but they are a particular favourite in Jamaican cuisine and a staple alongside curry goat dishes.
- 1x 400ml can light coconut milk
- 250ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (such as jasmine)
- 1x 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice; reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat; remove the thyme sprigs and garlic, and discard. Gently stir in the beans.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving