A flavour packed cut, best cooked slowly.
Recipe Suggestion: Beef Shin Stew
- olive oil
- 2 red onions , peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 carrots , peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 sticks celery , trimmed and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , unpeeled
- a few sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small handful dried porcini
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 kg shin of beef , cut into 5cm pieces
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 x 400 g good-quality tinned plum tomatoes
- ⅔ bottle Chianti
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. In a heavy-bottomed ovenproof saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and gently fry the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs, porcini and cinnamon for 5 minutes until softened slightly.
- Meanwhile, toss the pieces of beef in a little seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Add the meat to the pan and stir everything together, then add the tomatoes, wine and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Gently bring to the boil, cover with a double-thickness piece of tinfoil and a lid and place in your preheated oven for 3 hours or until the beef is meltingly tender and can be broken up with a spoon.
- Taste and check the seasoning, remove the cinnamon stick and rosemary sprigs and serve.